The weight loss piece of my journey......

The main idea behind the suggestion of doing this blog was to share with others what I personally am doing to "shed the pounds" if you will.  I have come up with many directions I'd like to take this blog, however, my weight loss journey is definitely one of the directions this blog will be taking.  

At the end of July I began my journey with Weight Watchers a bit nervous but ready to make a change.  I really had no idea what I was doing and have picked up many things as I have come along.  When I first began, I was following their program they called Points Plus.  The jest of it is that everything that you put into your mouth to eat and drink has a point value.  You have a certain amount of points per day to use and then extra points to be used throughout your week.  I did well on this program.  However tracking points was tedious and I was concerned that because of it's labor intensity, I wouldn't stick with it.  I had been reading alot of posts on Facebook about their other program, Simply Filling and thought I could give it a shot.  So I made the change and am still going strong on the Simply Filling plan.  How the Simply Filling program works is you can eat what you want off of their Power Foods list until you are satisfied.  If you deviate from the Power Foods list, then you have to count points which, you get 49 points per week to use for such occasions.  

I tend to be a creature of habit mostly for ease purposes.  When I find something that is easy, tastes good and seems to be working for shedding the weight, I tend to stick with it.  I am open to trying new things especially things that other members have come up with that have worked for them.  My meals/snacks are a combination of their ideas along with ideas I have come up with on my own.  My intent is to share with all of you my thoughts, ideas, what I eat and other things that help me on this journey.

So, let's begin......breakfast.  I used to not eat breakfast on a regular basis, end up REALLY hungry by 11:00 am and then the eating went downhill from there.  Now, I am cooking breakfast almost every morning (which benefits myself and my nugget - another blog topic for another day) and yes, most every morning is the same thing but that works for us.  Below is a picture of what Nathan and I eat; my version of the McMuffin - Healthy Life english muffin, scrambled egg, canadian bacon on mine and sausage on Nathan's, and a slice of Borden fat free cheese.  I put some chives, maybe a little celery salt, or cilantro on mine.  They really are delicious and all Simply Filling so no need to count points.  


Snack you say?  Didn't I just eat breakfast?  My mid-morning snack is usually fruit (banana or a Golden Delicious apple) or a yogurt.  I'm not a yogurt fan, however, I have finally found some yogurt that I do like.  Yoplait 100 calorie Greek yogurt and Dannon Light & Fit 80 calorie Greek yogurt.  This past week, I came up with a delicious combination that satisfies my sweet tooth and crazy addiction to caramel - I cut up my apple and mixed it with the Dannon Fit & Light 80 calorie Greek Salted Caramel yogurt.  It was scrumptious!  In fact, I just had it for a late evening snack tonight as well.  



My afternoon snack is usually microwave popcorn - 94% fat free Jolly Time has been my go to until I just figured out this week how to make my own microwave popcorn - 1/3 cup popcorn kernels in a paper bag and microwave for 3 minutes or until there are a few seconds between pops.  I haven't perfected this yet but definitely a work in progress.  Depending on what I'm craving at the time, I'll either shake some cheese flavoring on it or a bit of salt and a bit of Splenda which creates kettle corn that is delish!  

Dinner is a whole other story.  The other two people in my family are not following Weight Watchers however, I am cooking dinner so that I can eat almost the same things that they are.  My approach is to take what they want to eat and then make the changes necessary so that it fits in with my way of eating as well.  There are also nights that I do my own thing while the others have things that are more work to make Weight Watcher friendly.  The picture below is from one of those nights.  I sauteed some zucchini, squash and onions in olive oil with some seasonings.  I also cooked a batch of Minute Rice's multi-grain blend which is a blend of brown rice, red rice and quinoa.  I mixed that all together and that was my supper.  Really tasty!



Late evenings are challenging for me.  I like to snack like most people.  Sometimes I'll have a serving of Special K chips or crackers,  or another serving of microwave popcorn.  The night ends almost every night with a Weight Watchers ice cream bar.  My favorites are the Salted Caramel and Chocolate bars.  

Phew, that was a lot of information.  Hopefully it sparks some inspiration to those of you that are looking for menu suggestions.  For those that want to take that first step, maybe this will inspire you to try it and see what happens.  Whatever spot you are in, I hope this visit with me on my porch was helpful.  See you next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment