The inspiration for this blog

I won't lie, when my friend encouraged me to write a blog, I really couldn't understand why.  After I gave it some thought, I realized that I gain encouragement from others that are doing this so maybe I can be encouragement to others.

My whole life I've been "fluffy".  When I was a kid, I was the chunky one in the class.  I thinned out a bit later in high school just to put on the "freshman 50" when I finally went away to school.  However, I always seemed to carry my weight well.  Most people were shocked when I told them how much I really weighed.  Due to some health issues (PCOS) in my early twenties, my physician put me on low carb and on that lifestyle, I was able to shed 60 lbs. in 4 months.   That was amazing to say the least.  My life changed a bit when I found out I was pregnant with my nugget.  Due to gestational diabetes, I was put back on low carb and lost even more weight.  Motherhood was rough for me, I won't deny it.  My nugget was a baby challenge.  I ate to cope with exhaustion and depression.  Since then, I had given up caring about what I put in my face.  Eating is an enjoyment exercise for me.  Unfortunately, as I have gotten older and hit that 40 year mark, my metabolism has not been so kind to my choice of what I consume, yet, I still wasn't concerned at all about my overall health.

This summer, my nugget stayed for a large portion of the summer with his big sister who is a teacher.  She sent me a picture of him at the swimming pool and I cried.  What have I let happen to my nugget who just a couple of years ago, was skin and bones?  That was it. I had to do something to get myself in better shape and hopefully him and whoever came along for the ride in my family.

I started this journey at the end of July.  To day I have lost 38 lbs. and am feeling good about my accomplishment.  I wish it could be more at this point, however, I'm learning to be proud of the work so far and focus on the work ahead.  Many people ask me how I'm doing it.  That is what the inspiration of this blog is however, I see it blooming into more but we'll get to that down the road.

At the end of July, I made two commitments - I purchased a Fitbit and I joined Weight Watchers.  I am not a jock by any means and I will admit, since it's been cold, I've not been as committed to walking.  But my commitment to Weight Watchers is still going strong and I want to be committed to my FitBit.  That will come back in time.  I actually want to start running (shocking I know) but again, that will come in time.

My future blog entries will be around what I eat, what I do to get my steps in and my overall mental well-being.  There are many parts of me mentally that have improved since I have been successful at taking some weight off.  There are other parts that are rearing their ugly head that I need to deal with as time goes on.  But today's entry is about explaining to you where this is coming from and sharing with you on my front porch where I hope to be headed.

My ultimate goal on this weight loss journey is to lose 100 lbs. total.  That would be amazing.  I have 62 lbs. to go.  I want to do this, I'm committed to doing this, I CAN DO THIS!  I hope that if you are reading this and need encouragement, I hope that this blog will help encourage you.  If you are looking for inspiration to make some changes in your life, whatever those changes are, I hope you find inspiration here.  If you are looking for someone to journey with, I hope I can be that person for you.  Together, we can all come together and accomplish what we set out to do, whatever that is.  I truly believe that.  It happens one step at a time but that first step is the scariest.  Today, think about what that first step is for you and make plans to take it.  Maybe even step off the porch today and take it.  You CAN do it!!!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! What a great idea! I gained 90 pounds after cancer in 2003. I lost it between September 2009 and June 2010 i know how difficult and how rewarding that journey was for me and I hoe that for you. What helped me was making small changes along the way rather then big, daunting changes and thinking of what I was doing as a lifestyle change ether then a diet. Congratulations! You're doing great, I look forward to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Scout for your kind words. Losing weight is definitely a challenge but can be a very rewarding journey for so many reasons. Thank you for stopping by my front porch and I hope you stay a spell. :)

      Delete