Stop the bullying!

No, I'm not talking about bullying among kids, or even adults, but yourself!  I was listening to a podcast this morning and the person that was being interviewed is someone that helps people on their weight loss journeys.  She said something that stuck with me, stop bullying yourself.  We are our own worst enemies aren't we?  No matter how good things are, we still beat ourselves up and focus on our shortcomings.

I say today is the day to stop bullying yourself!  It has become normalcy to focus on our faults, even make jokes about it.  Why can't we celebrate our successes?  Why can't we toot our own horn occasionally?  I'm not suggesting you gloat and become self absorbed.  However, be proud of your accomplishments.  Be proud of how far you've come to this point.  Let me start.

I'm not one to toot my own horn very often.  However, I don't feel I have had much to toot about over the last, 2 decades.  Well that is changing.  I have decided that I want to be successful, I want to make something of myself.  My first step of transformation was returning to school.  I did that about 1 1/2 years ago.  I earned my Associates Degree and now I'm on my way to earning my Bachelors Degree.  I changed my program to the program that I was too afraid to go into when I started out.  Now I'm on track to earn my Bachelor's of Social Work in Spring, 2017.

My next step of transformation was my weight loss journey which many of you know about.  I have been losing part of a pound here, part of a pound there.  Slow and steady wins the race right? Well this past week, I tried really hard to focus on portion control and making good choices no matter if we were at home or not.  2.3 pounds gone this week!  I haven't had that much of a loss in a while. And I'm so close to losing 50 pounds!  This is shocking to me.  Less than a year ago, I did not care what went in my mouth and whether or not I got any type of physical activity.  Today I am 180 degrees the other direction.  Sure I flub from time to time, but I do NOT go without.  I find an alternative that makes me feel satisfied and proud of myself for making a good choice.  Proud of myself.......

Yes, I said it.  I AM PROUD OF MYSELF!!  Sure it helps that people are calling me "skinny" now which cracks me up.  Sure it helps that I am in a smaller size and almost able to share clothes with my "skinny" stepdaughter.  But most of all, I'm proud of myself for making positive changes in my life.  And YOU can too!

I get asked at least once a day, how are you doing this?  I love sharing my journey with anyone who will listen.  If it can help them, I am happy to share.  Even if they don't jump on the bandwagon with me, that's ok.  I didn't jump on right away either. I had to do it in my own time and I'm so glad I did.

I want to challenge each and every one of you to make a list, start with 5 but list as many as you want.  Make a list of at least 5 things that you like about yourself.  Even if the list includes things like sense of humor or the shoes you're wearing today, that's ok.  Make a list of 5 or more things you like about yourself.  Burn it, delete it, post it on Facebook, make it your phone background, whatever you need to do with that list so it makes an impact on you, DO IT!  Stop bullying yourself and focusing on the negative.  Build yourself up like you build others up.  YOU are worth it and you deserve it!  We are all special in our own way.  God doesn't make mistakes.  He made all of us in our own unique way for a reason.  Find it, celebrate it, share it and stop being a bully to the person that should be your favorite, YOU!

Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you enjoyed your stay here on my front porch.

3 comments:

  1. Loved this. "Build yourself up like you build others up." It's like, if your best friend was going through a tough time, would you talk to her the way you talk to yourself? You'd be kind and supportive, not cruel. Talk to yourself the way you'd talk to others. Thanks for sharing this. I especially liked, "my front porch!"

    ReplyDelete